I’d like to thank Zarah for keeping an eye on these facts about Hyde and for having the resource still online.
- He got his angel wings tattoo probably around 97/98.
- Before he was in L’Arc~en~Ciel, he was the guitarist for the band Kiddies Bomb (which changed it’s name to Jeruselem’s Rod shortly before he left it)
- Hyde is the only child.
- Hyde has his belly button pierced.
- His parents owned a pub with a karaoke box.
- His parents were married at young age.
- He was raised as if he was a girl when he was little. Because his mother wanted a daughter, his mother would dress him in girlish clothes and make him wear a red backpack to school. (Red backpacks are/were typical for girls.)
- Hyde has several copies of his (custom made) pentacle ring in different colours and has been known to lose one a few times. Apparently, the original ring design is a copy of one of Marilyn Manson’s rings.
- He has a huge appetite and eats a lot, which is insane considering how thin he is.
- On the most common picture of his wing tattoo (The one that has the Japanese written on it) the words were written by the tattoo artist and they say:
Hyde tattooed a pair of wings on his back,
even though Hyde said ‘I prefer the devil.’
Still, he chose the angel in the end.
After many observations,
I realized that angel’s wings are really more suitable for Hyde.
During the photo shoot, as I saw the wings,
on Hyde’s pale, never-been-tanned skin,
I felt a fleeting yet imprinted feeling of satisfaction;
From now on, using that pair of wings,
Hyde can fly freely.
- Hyde composed the music for the song Glamorous Sky for the movie NANA. The song was sung by Mika Nakashima, and lyrics were written by the manga artist, Yazawa Ai.
- Hyde co-starred with another JRock artist, Gackt in the movie Moon Child.
- One time, while on set for Moon Child, Hyde was waiting for Gackt to finish his filming for the day and started riding around on his motorbike, making a lot of noise and showing off to try and get Gackt’s attention, but Gackt never looked at him.
- Hyde loves to draw but, because he is colour blind, he mostly sketches in black and white.
- Hyde designs some of his own clothing (shirts and such) as well as some of the Hydeist goods you can buy on his site.
- He used to work in Mister Donut.
- He’s a big fan of Harry Potter.
- Hyde reads NANA and DEATH NOTE mangas.
- Another Moon Child story: one time, Hyde was napping in his chair on set and when he woke up, Gackt was very very close to his face and said something about wanting to kiss him.
- Gackt has admitted to being in love with Hyde. Whether as a friend or more, we’ll probably never know.
- Apparently, Hyde was in the audience at one of Gackt’s performances in 2004 (I think it was the one on his birthday?) and blew Gackt a kiss.
- In the early days of L’Arc~en~Ciel, Hyde would often ask Tetsu to give him hickey marks on his neck before they went on stage. (Not quite sure what the point of that was, probably just to tease the fans, but Tetsu talked about it in a… magazine interview)
- Hyde appears to have some sort of obsession with flicking his tongue. In my opinion, part of it is to try and hide the fact that his bottom teeth are kind of crooked, as well as just him flirting with his fans.
- His album Roentgen was recorded in England and there was believe he had the help of an English orchestra.
- Hyde hates hot and sticky weather. However, he doesn’t seem to be overly fond of cold weather, either.